1. Ever heard of the Cameron Highlands? Me neither. It sounds like some place in Scotland, but it’s actually an area in Malaysia. It was surveyed by geologist William Cameron in 1885, hence the name, and is known for well, farming as you might guess, tea, orchards, golf courses, wildlife, etc.
2. Beau Miles is back and he’s planting a tree for every minute in the day.
3. Want to start 2022 on the right foot? WeRateDogs’ Dogs of 2021.
The Dogs of 2021 pic.twitter.com/aXNh5jD13H
— WeRateDogs® (@dog_rates) December 30, 2021
4. From Inverse, how dogs went from wolves to our best friends according to scientists:
“We propose that initial selection during early dog domestication was for behavior … which secondarily gave rise to the phenotypes of modern dogs,” the study’s authors write.
The authors of the study found the behavioral traits that were selected first eventually led to the selection of the physical traits of modern dogs. They concluded that primary selection during domestication “likely targeted tameness,” so you can thank our ancestors for teaching wolves to chill out, as tameness appeared as a trait before any other differences between wolves and dogs developed.
5. I don’t know how to end this week’s Saturday Morning Links. Another thing to read or perhaps another video doesn’t seem appropriate. 2021 was weird and I am ready for a non-weird year. I hope that you are happy and healthy and that you improve upon your 2022. Last year I did my year in graphs and I haven’t had time to find my old spreadsheets, but I can assure you that I have accomplished my mini-goals every day for this past year.
- 458 straight days of having a glass of water before coffee.
- 453 straight days of writing a gratitude journal.
- 697 straight days of picking up a book.
- 736 straight days of doing 100 push ups.
- 368 straight days of planks.
- 341 straight days of meditating for at least 3 minutes.
- 368 straight days of putting away my phone when I got home from work.
- 623 straight days of brushing my teeth at night. This is what started these habits, or finding an app to track them.